St. Edmund's, Crickhowell
Home Group Study 2
Feelings under control ?
Joseph's brothers had reason to feel aggrieved but channelled their hurt into revenge stopping barely short of murder. Joseph had even more reason to feel aggrieved but chose the path of forgiveness.
Share memories of times when you have unexpectedly received kindness or generosity.
At any of those times were you expecting rather different treatment?
Read Psalm 103
Give God thanks for his grace - the love we do not deserve. Remain quiet for a time and then some might like to pray aloud.
Genesis 37:12 - 36
Is there any way you can explain how the brothers grudge against Joseph could lead to their wanting to at worst murder him or at best get rid of him?
- Is there any thing in mitigation that can be said about any of the brothers?
Read:Genesis 45:1 - 8
Was Joseph magnanimous towards his brothers just because his dreams had literally come true and he could now lord it over them?
What in his behaviour confirms or contradicts this?
- What examples of forgiveness can you remember from Jesus' life?
Can you think of any other Bible characters who set us an example of forgiveness?
More bible passages
Read at home to prepare for the group or to take things that interest you further.
- What are the consequences of failure to forgive?
Have a look at
Hebrews 12: 14 & 15
for some possibilities.
- Many Bible passages give us principles will help us to be able to forgive. Look specifically at Matthew 6: 9 - 15
- Pray for national or international situations where vengeance appears more important than forgiveness.
- Pray for hurt and disadvantaged groups or individuals within the local community.
- Pray for broken relationships among those you know.
- Pray for one another.
- Continue to plan some social and/or outreach event.
Last updated 16/2/2002